What is your motivation to start a blog or website?
As such there can be 100+ reasons. You may want to start an affiliation business, blog writing, e-commerce business, content marketing or it can be your own local business website setup.
To motivate your actions and inner thoughts about building a blog/website, I would ask you three questions.
- What would be the purpose of your blog?
- What problem are you going to resolve?
- Who is your audience?
If you have all the answers ready with you, the whole process will be more striking for your blog. if not, find the answer first before moving to the next step of website creation.
Step By Step Guide -
Step By Step Guide -
How to Build a Blog or Website Step by Step Process?
I started my blogging adventure with a mild question “Is it the right time to run a blogging business professionally?”
Having tons of questions in my mind I drove my research process and found some really interesting facts about building a website.
There were numbers of free websites and platforms where I could start my website but I rejected to go with a free one.
No doubt, you can start a blog or website on a free platform but in return, they will start showing you lots of ads, use personal information and won’t provide your own identity as the main domain holds the authority of your blog, for example, bloggingtoearn.blogspot.com instead of bloggingtoearn.com… got it?
Where to create a website?
There is not a specific answer. Numbers of CMS platforms are available where you can start your first website to run your blogging business.
WordPress is the most effective and efficient platform to run a website. Almost 75 Million sites depend on WordPress only. Most of the bloggers and business entrepreneurs find worthy to have their websites on WordPress. If you are willing to start a WooCommerce website by installing some necessary plugins and set up a WooCommerce website too without any hassle.
Let’s start and learn the process of creating a website with WordPress step by step.
Step 1. Get a Domain Name to Start a Blog
Before applying any of the rules, understand two things quickly,
- First, You can change your domain name any point of time if you do not find your businesdomain.com interesting or get a better one.
- There is no hard and fast rule to select the best domain name. The initial phase should be finished quickly without wasting your precious time.
You can waste your entire day in finding a domain name only.
I would love to share two ways of finding a domain name. Let me know in the comment which method worked for you.
#1. A Domain that Fits Your Thoughts & Blog
You can start by creating an excel file and write a few targeted words that show the relevance of your business and collaborate with the primary word (Main Keyword). I did my own research for selecting the domain.
- First, understand that what purpose will you be serving on your website, for example, WPBeginner.com is a beginner’s guide for WordPress. Your website name should have that keyword or purpose, add that, if possible.
- Do brainstorming to find the most relevant things and words. Write them down and add up with your own thoughts, put .com at the end of the word to give a domain name and do the bulk search.
- Search in bulk registration for the websites.
#2. Still Could not Find the Right Domain for Your Website?
One more easy way, Leandomainsearch domain name generator. Enter the selective word to get a long list of available domains.
As soon as you pick the right one that fits your thoughts for the domain name, acquire the name.
Dynadot is my favorite place to buy domains. Get your first domain @ $8.99 .com / free privacy. (Truly premium service experience)
I would also recommend Godaddy. Their support for domains is pretty decent.
Step 2. Web Hosting for Website
I have figured out almost every web hosting company and plan that promises to provide the best hosting at a reasonable price.
You may also have a bunch of questions in your mind. Do not put your hard earned money blindly. Do your own research.
- Where can I get cheap website hosting?
- How many websites can be run?
- What about the support and security?
- Email account and SSL certificate?
- What is the total uptime provided by web hosting company? and so on…
I did a lot of research on service providers and plans and finally, run my first website with SiteGround.
#1. Why SiteGround?
Selection of a web hosting plan is the most important step in the website creation process. We want speedy servers, high uptime and great support from a company.
I have never faced any issues with SiteGround.
- Migrate your website from your existing host to SiteGround free of cost.
- Get free SSL and dedicated IP with GoGeek plan.
- World class support, No website security concerns with maximum uptime.
- Host multiple websites on their GrowBig and GoGeek plan
- Auto updater for WordPress and high-speed servers for your websites.
Do not bother about resolving technical issues while creating a website? Open support chatbox put your query and you will get that issue resolved instantly.
I use their 24/7 support whenever I get stuck.
See how did I get an issue resolved without getting any trouble.
You can trust SiteGround as they hold the highest rating for recommendations.
I selected their GrowBig plan if you will be running one website then they have a cheaper plan too but I would recommend GrowBig. Because you may be starting your second website soon so you do not need to buy hosting for those websites.
#2. How to Configure Domain with Web Hosting?
This step will configure your domain with web hosting control panel. Follow these steps,
- Login your web hosting account DNS panel and copy the link address (SiteGround Panel).
- Open domain account and paste the DNS link in Name Server (Dynadot Account).
- Save and exit.
#3. How to Install WordPress on Your Web Hosting Platform?
WordPress installation is the main process of setting up a website. Follow the process step by step and complete at once.
- Open cPanel on SiteGround.
- Add your Domain.
- Click the WordPress Installer.
- We will add a detailed video for the complete WordPress installation process. After clicking WordPress Installer you have to select and fill the necessary details and get the process done.
Step 3. Themes for WordPress Website
Understand two things quickly,
- Investment in themes, tools and any type of learning will not be a waste material in your life (Never hesitate in making a budget because you will be running your blog as a business professionally)
- If you write a blog as just a blog then choose blogger.com but if you are really want to take your business up you have to build it and take it seriously.
Generally, two questions may come to your mind when you will go for a theme selection.
- Should I get started a blog with a FREE theme or Paid?
- Should I download nulled themes or pirated themes to run a website?
You can also start with a FREE them which will give you limited access to design your website.
Secondly, do not ever download free null and pirated theme.
If you are creating a website for having fun than everything is fine.
But if you want to start your online business seriously then don’t let your hard work, passion and time squandered behind saving few bucks.
#1. Best Themes to Start a Website (Premium Designs)
StudioPress Genesis (the Best theme in the industry)
Genesis has introduced almost every type of theme to the internet world. You need to install Genesis Framework and run a website with a child theme.
Visit the link and select what type of website you would love to create. you will find it awesome!
StudioPress themes are lightweight, fast, SEO responsive and easy to use.
You should understand the basics of Genesis theme with a FREE version and once you find it handy you can install a premium version in a week too. So wait and learn it before buying it.
#2. Value for Money Theme Ever
GeneratePress (Easy to use – Get Premium version for $39)
The one comes with fully loaded customization & core editing options. You can try FREE version too. I am using a premium version of GeneratePress theme which will cost you less than $40. A pretty decent price to start a website with a premium quality theme.
I wrote a few words about GeneratePress on Facebook. A perfect one which comes in budget and value for money deal.
#3. Get More Themes
Themeforst (Swim in Theme Ocean)
After reaching a certain point in blogging you would love to explore with multiple website and experiments.
Then you would love to exhilarate with too many options for different niche websites.
However, Themeforest has the biggest digital asset in the world. Keep exploring themes and meet your needs within any budget.
After picking the right theme, move to the next step…
#4. How to Install WordPress Theme?
You will get a theme in a .zip file. A .rar file cannot be uploaded, convert in a .zip file or install WinZip.
Add New Theme:
Select & Upload .zip File:
Your WordPress theme has installed and activated. Finish the basic WordPress settings and move to the next step quickly.
Step 4. Basic WordPress Settings
Click on Appearance and add your downloaded theme manually. Change the appearance, fonts and other settings that you would love to design.
#2. Menu & Widgets
Setup at least two menus while creating a website,
- Main Menus (Include main pages on your website, i.e Home, Products, Contact us)
Add text widgets and place them on your website. I have also added a text widget on my website. They work like eye-openers so use them smartly. Write us if you want to know about widgets in detail.
#3. General Settings
Go to the setting and open General Setting,
Put the website title and tagline and set your WordPress Address shown blow format.
#4. Homepage Setting
If you have recently started your blog then do not start with a static page as home page. Try to write at least 5-6 articles and move from “Your latest Post” to a ” Static Page” in reading settings.
I recommend you to start with Your Latest Post option. If you have already experience creating static pages then use your homepage.
Homepage always shows the potential of your website, use it as a powerful tool. Connect your main pages and categories on the homepage only.
You have to change WordPress default settings. To get better SEO and optimization result, select Post Name.
Post name shows a web URL for a particular sample page. it means you can give it a name instead of numbers or other forms of URL on your website, for example, www.bloggingtoearn.com/start-blog instead of /123absd.
#6. Customize WordPress Theme Settings
WordPress allows you to customize your website settings. You can change colors, fonts, layouts, logo and so on.
This is the GenratePress theme setting.
Step 5. Plugins for WordPress Website
I would recommend you to keep your plugins list below 10 or less. More plugin installation may slow your website speed. Visit PageSpeed Insight and test your website speed.
Running a website on WordPress will give you more benefits and installation of plugins is the first one. You do not need to invest money on plugins. Get almost every function FREE of cost.
Download Free plugins for Word Press: WordPress Plugin Gallery
If you know how to How to Install Plugins then fine but few of you are new. Follow the process.
Goto Plugins> Add New> Install (Search and Install) or Download (upload manually)> Activate… Done!
I have churned and listed down the best plugins for starting a website so keep installing one by one.
#1. Remove Spams on a Blog
Install the plugins and submit the API key. You have to signup with Akismet to get your API key. Choose a free version and save the setting default.
Akismet automatically checks and filters out the comments and blocks spam in the comment section that you enable for your visitors.
Jetpack is a multifunctional plugin which provides you with several options to enable or disable. Keep exploring the function that you like. Overall jetpack gives your website a better speed and serves website security, design, and marketing functions to a new website.
#2. Get More Editing Options in WordPress Website
WordPress gives you very limited options in the Visual Editor toolbar. After installing the plugin you can configure up to four rows of buttons including Font Sizes, Font Family, text and background colors, tables, etc.
If WordPress inbuilt system can’t give enough options to make your article catchy than WordPress Plugins will do that for you.
Use Shortcodes for creating buttons, labels that help in affiliation websites a lot. Learn each option of Shortcodes and you will start loving this plugin, believe me.
You must be tired of setting up a website so far as the process is a bit long but it will work for you. 🙂
#3. Write SEO Friendly Articles for Blogging
Running a website without SEO is like a body without a soul.
Beginners will take time to learn SEO and other stuff. But it does not mean they should write articles and blogs without SEO friendly.
First, you have to provide a focus keyword. Down the page, read the analysis part and follow the instructions to get good results.
#4. Get Subscribers to Grow Your Website
You get the Email newsletter integration options with SUMO Me. This plugin will make it easy for your readers to join your email list, share your articles, and optimize with analytics.
As an integral part of SUMO, I strongly recommend Drip for best marketing automation tool. We will write a detailed post about Drip.
#5. Optimization Website Speed
Install the plugin and save the setting without making any changes. It gives you a better Cache option and optimizes the website automatically.
WP Smush will optimize your website images. Your website load speed will enhance after installing this plugin.
#6. Analyze Website Performance
The first step is to sign up with Google Analytics and Google Search Console. Install the plugin and put the unique number.
#7. Keep Your Website Secure
Creating a website is not enough, your job is to keep your website secure and healthy. Install Sucuri plugins, signup and put the API key. Once it is enabled you need to save the default settings. Scan your website from malware, worms, and unidentified threats.
#8. Never Losing Your Website Data
It will be the must-have plugin for WordPress. You just need to schedule backups and save them. any crash or worst thing happen to your website restore your entire website easy.
Always have a backup so that you never lose your business.
#9. Start Blog Writing
Once your website runs successfully on WordPress next step would be writing a blog.
Generally, people ask about the difference between pages and posts. I find no difference between pages and post.
- I use pages and post both for blog writing. I tell you the secret, write the more relevant post related to a category and interlink them on a page.
- Pages are more powerful and especially homepage.
- Write strong and engaging content that provides the value to your readers. Don’t rush for SEO and other thing Yoast SEO tools is enough to tell you what to follow.
- Check grammars, headings and make your article more readable by adding more images.
- Don’t post half written posts, save them as a draft.
We have concluded every step of creating a blog. Still, you can clear your doubts, if any, just comment below.
If you have decided to make a website now, I would love to share a few tips with you.
- Pick a domain that your readers find easy to remember.
- Create a much-focused website towards a Niche and add relevant categories only. For example, if your website is about Earning Money then you can add categories like money hacks, save money, how to earn money.
- Hosting a website with a platform like SiteGround reduces the risks and security concerns.
- Install the necessary plugins only, installing more plugins on your website will reduce the site speed.
- Keep your website clean and write more engaging contents with basic SEO. Apply 80-20 rule here.
You should connect your audience/customers more personally. Give them the reason to follow you, provide the values.
🙂 I would love if you can share your story of starting a website!